Web designer with professional experience in both corporate and creative environments. Extensive artistic and computer skills.
- Web design
- Information architecture
- Web animation
- Print design and layout
- Image manipulation
- Oral and written communication
Associate, Creative Design, Sapient (July 2006-present)
Collaborate with developers, information architects, and other visual designers on websites for various clients.
Architecture, design and user testing of various web-based projects, including websites, animated Flash movies, and exhibit interfaces.
- Collaborated with various visitor experience teams to launch over a half-dozen web initiatives, including RedShift Now, Grand Central, OSC Garage, Café Scientifique, and a redesign of the Science Centre website.
- Spearheaded the architecture and design of the Science Centre’s science content site, RedShift Now.
- Pioneered new ways of presenting science content with Flash animation. Created over a half-dozen original animated shorts for display in the Science Centre.
Freelance Designer and Production Artist (Jan. 2003-Mar. 2004)
Logo design, website design, image manipulation and print production for diverse clients.
- Redesigned literary magazine On Spec's website. Built webpages, optimized images, and edited content to improve site's usability and efficiency.
- Redesigned literary webzine Strange Horizons. Worked with programmers to build templates and write style sheets to improve site's usability and efficiency.
- Presented logo and web design concept to the Speculative Literature Foundation. Was chosen from numerous competitors to collaborate with the Foundation's director and web programmers on the organization's website and communications material.
- Manipulated high volume of images for Yellowbrick Communication's Teknion NMSO furniture catalogue. Formatted multi-page QuarkXPress document to designer's specifications within hours of receipt.
- Presented logo concepts to Handy Software and community organizations Horizons for Youth and RAAFT. Created and delivered artwork files within hours of final chosen concept.
Digital Graphic Artist, Teknion (Mar. 2001-Nov. 2002)
Designed and produced sales, marketing and communications materials for web and print. Defined, developed and enforced corporate branding standards. Archived digital assets, liaised with and distributed assets to internal and external clients.
- Saved Teknion time and money, as numerous and varied projects were brought in-house (e.g. annual holiday card, corporate newsletter).
- Implemented image library for knowledge management system, thus making it more efficient for salespeople to access product images.
- Led a dealer catalogue project from conception to completion, the files for which can be re-purposed for other Teknion dealers.
- Built and maintained online corporate newsletter, which won an award from the League of American Communication Professionals.
- Collaborated with salespeople on two presentations, both of which won Teknion million-dollar contracts with Volkswagen and CGI.
Content Artist, Cyberworld International Corporation (June 2000-Mar. 2001)
Collaborated with artists and programmers to build interactive three-dimensional web environments that showcased the marketing, business, entertainment and education capabilities of Cyberworld's innovative technology. Conceived and researched ideas for Cyberworld web environments. Created textures, HTML pages, Flash animation and intranet web pages.
Freelance Designer, Eloqua Corporation (Mar. 2000-Mar. 2001)
Supported then-fledgling company with web and graphic design and production. Designed and built early corporate websites. Designed and produced PowerPoint templates and print materials. Created interface buttons for Eloqua's custom software.
The Ontario Science Centre required a site that presents current science content from their newest experience area, the Weston Family Innovation Centre.
- Adapted exhibit content for the web. Designed the information architecture. Designed logo and created artwork. Performed user testing and observation. Worked with Science Centre web team to launch site and its subsequent incarnations. Drive future incarnations as its scope expands.
The Ontario Science Centre required a redesign of an educational mini-site.
- Developed the information architecture. Worked with science researcher to gather additional research and write new copy. Created artwork. Performed user testing and observation.
The Ontario Science Centre required a mini-site that would spread awareness of light pollution and encourage data contribution from visitors.
- Worked with the Science Centre web team and a science researcher to develop the information architecture. Created artwork, printable files.
The Ontario Science Centre required a visual redesign that would reflect their new branding.
- Collaborated with web editor to design a new look for the site as well as a new home page.
The Ontario Science Centre required a design-oriented mini-site that featured a shortlist of proposed art installations. (Now closed; see portfolio)
- Developed the information architecture. Created Flash artwork and animation files.
Ontario Science Centre Garage
The Ontario Science Centre required a website where they could pilot online experiences. (Now closed; see portfolio)
- Developed the information architecture and created artwork. Built site with the help of the Science Centre web editor. Worked with Science Centre exhibit developers to realize their pilot projects on the web.
Client required a website redesign that would reflect their new branding.
- Built webpages with HTML, PHP, and CSS, optimized images, and edited content to improve site's usability and efficiency.
Client required an updated design that would improve usability, yet still accommodate the high volume of changing content.
- Collaborated with programmers to design HTML templates and write style sheets.
Client required a simple, low-graphics website that would accommodate the high volume of content and diversity of users.
- Designed website and logo. Built templates with HTML and CSS.
Employer required online corporate newsletter that could be easily updated. (Now closed.)
- Built website from designer's specifications. Wrote style sheet, and optimized images to improve usability and efficiency. Was responsible for updating content during my employment at Teknion.
- Website won an award from the League of Communication Professionals.
Post-Graduate 3D Digital Animation, Seneca College, 1998-1999
Bachelor of Fine Art, Queen's University, 1994-1998
Graphics: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, QuarkXPress
Other: Word, PowerPoint